Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Beautiful Wedding

Last night at midnight was the first time gay couples could get married in the state of Washington. We (Matt's family) had the opportunity to be at the Thurston County Courthouse last night to witness one of the marriages. It was the most beautiful wedding. There were no flowers, no suits or tuxes even, but the couple's happiness & love for one another made up for all of that. None of that was needed. 


We do not know the couple. One of the guys is a friend of Matt's brother. But, we were in the courtroom with about 15 other people (their family & friends) to celebrate and support their marriage. It was a night I will never ever forget. The words spoken during the ceremony were beautiful. The judge (an older man) even said, "these have been the only weddings I have cried during". That is saying something. I of course cried quietly knowing what an incredible day this was for this couple. They were so in love and you could tell, just from the 20 short minutes we were in the room with them, that they are not just in love, but best friends, too. That's how I feel with Matt. It makes me so sad knowing there are so many people who are not able to marry their best friend like we were able to. Watching them seal their marriage was the most amazing thing. 



I was so proud to be sitting in that room with our family. 

One of my favorite moments may have been seeing one of the guys' parents during the ceremony and before. They looked so incredibly happy and proud of their son on his wedding day. They cried tears of joy. There seemed to be no doubt that they would ever choose to be anywhere else but right there. The way it should be on your child's wedding day. It was beautiful.

The whole thing was beautiful. 

Matt and I have so many friends who are gay and it makes me so sad for them. I hope that someday soon, gay marriage is legal in all states. I don't even like to think of it as "gay" marriage. It's just marriage. They are two people who want to spend the rest of their lives loving each other and taking care of one another. 

Here is an article that my brother in law found this morning about last night.
I love that we were there!

I am just really happy and proud that I was there last night at midnight to witness this couple's marriage. It truly was a beautiful wedding, in it's own amazing way, the most beautiful I've ever seen! 
I hope for many, many more!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful moment to witness! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great moment! Very cool that you were there.

    ReplyDelete