Thursday, April 28, 2016

Slow Cooker Lentil Stew

On our path to healthier living and a more budget friendly lifestyle, we are making some big changes to the way we eat. One of the changes we are going to work at is to eat more meatless dishes. I'm never a big meat fan, but Matt is. We'll see how much I can get away with more than just a Meatless Monday every week.

Tonight I made our first Lentil Stew. I've eaten lentils before when I nannied in Seattle. My nanny family there eats them often. I had never even heard of them prior to living in Seattle. And up until tonight, I've never cooked with them. I am pleasantly surprised with how delicious the Lentil Stew is that I made tonight, and how easy!


Slow Cooker Lentil Stew

1 1/2 cups of lentils
3 peeled and chopped carrots
3 celery stalks chopped
1 sweet onion chopped
4 cups of chicken stock
1 28 Oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
Parmesan cheese for topping

Mix all ingredients (except for the cheese) into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

This meal cost about $8.00 to make! I still have enough for 2 or 3 lunches from leftovers.

I am so glad that my friend Nalani shared this recipe with me! We will definitely be making this again. We even got Lilly Belle to eat it up. We told her that Cinderella would for sure eat Lentil Stew and that helped a lot. She ate almost her whole bowl, and then also a ton of cheese that she would dip piece by piece into the stew. Silly girl...

 photo signature_zpsbq1qmfdi.png

No comments:

Post a Comment