Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Learning & Goals

I have taken this week to re-evaluate a lot of things.
I needed to take a step back and remember what is really important.
I am a people pleaser by fault.
I have a really hard time when I know I've let people down.
This is the first week that I have had Miss Alex teach one of the classes that I have taught since Day 1.
This class is full of little ones that I have taught for 2 years. Little ones that I have had since they were just 2 years old...It was hard. Today was hard being somewhere else teaching kids I've never met knowing all those kids were having dance class and I wasn't there to watch them grow. I had to fix another teachers mistakes. I needed to pick up the pieces. I left that class today with happy faces and hugs from these kids I've never met. It was all okay in the end and I am looking forward to teaching them.  

I am learning.
Today, I am up to teaching 22 classes/week. 
That is a lot of dancing...A lot of little kids...and A lot of patience. 
So far, this week, I have survived.
In the past three days, I have taught 14 classes on top of everything else running the business. I still feel like I've got enough patience & energy to get through the week.
I have interviewed a new teacher tonight that I think will work out well. But, I'm not just going to throw her to the wolves. I'm going to teach with her for the first 2 classes, and then sit outside and evalutate for the next two that she's alone...things are changing around here.

This was the first week that I could take a deep breath. I got to pay myself again. Like a real paycheck. I felt so accomplished seeing that come in the mail today knowing that I wasn't stressed about it. I earned it and don't have to feel guilty about it. 

So...some goals. 
*Hire & train new employees so that my classes go from 22/week to eventually 10/week. I'm not going to just let anyone in there, so it's going to take some time. There is a light though. I have great dance parents that are 100% supportive.

*Get organized. 
*Get organized.
*Get organized.

*Take time for myself. Today was great. Mid-day I went on a walk with Katie from the Community Center to Starbucks and back. It was perfect. Time with my best friend, fresh fall air and a treat at the end. I need to do more things like that. 

*Make sure I am taking time for Matt so he knows how much he means to me. Sometimes it's okay to work for 10 hours and come home and watch a roller coaster show... 

We're re-evaluating a lot around here. Making some not so fun decisions, but ones that we know will be better in the long run.

Not So Fun Decision #1...We have shortened our Disneyland trip to just the long weekend. We were going to be going for a 6-Day Park Hopper...we shortened that to 4. That's 3 days with my team kids doing the Christmas Parade and one full day to enjoy each other together at our favorite place on earth. I almost cried, but then I didn't. Matt said it's because I'm different now.

There are a few not-so-fun's we're talking about...but just one thing at a time. 

I haven't had a panic attack in a very, very long time. 
I'm stronger. I can feel it when I have parent conflict or situations at dance. I don't take it personally and I'm harder. There's more of a shield in there than there used to be. I have confidence in myself and my program. 

--Chelsea Kay--




1 comment:

  1. Chelsea,
    I am sorry things are tough right now. If it helps, I have been feeling so overwhelmed right now, too, with the beginning of the school year and getting into a new routine. I guess that probably won't make you feel better, but at least you know you are not alone in feeling that way! Anyways, we miss seeing you...we should get together for coffee or something quick sometime!
    Casie

    ReplyDelete