Thursday, June 14, 2012

Meal Swap! (Freezer Meal Recipe)

Last night we had our meal swap. 
I love this so much and am so happy that one of my dance moms, Carly, let me join. 
There were 7 of us last night. We all make a recipe and make enough for everyone's families. 
Yesterday I made Tomato-Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
Everyone in the group except us have kids so I thought this would be fun :) 
I just ate the soup for lunch and it was super yummy. I'm definitely going to make this again. 
Yesterday I was a teary mess in the kitchen cutting onions (9) lol. 
I started making the soup at 2:30 and before I knew it, it was 5:30 when I finished. Yikes. 

Here is the recipe for you all! I got it from my freezer meal book, "Fix, Freeze, Feast". That recipe calls for zest of an orange but I felt it was tangy enough after adding the lime. You need a big stock pot for this recipe. I only have a regular pot and was unable to put all the broth in which made smaller portions :( I felt bad so I just gave everyone a can of broth to add when they reheat it lol. Overall this recipe was super easy to make, it just took me so long because I tripled the recipe so I had to make it twice because of our tiny pot.

Tomato-Basil Soup
Makes 3 entrees with 4 servings each (2 to freeze, one to eat)



1/2 C. Butter (1 stick)
3 Medium Onions (chopped)
3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
3 Lbs. Roma Tomatoes (chopped)
1 T. Lime Juice
Pinch of Sugar
8 C. Chicken Broth
3/4 C. Fresh Basil Leaves (chopped)
3 Gallon Freezer Bags

Melt butter in stock pot. Add onions and stir until soft (about 15 min.). Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Now you can add the broth, tomatoes and lime juice. Cook and stir until boiling. Once boiling, add basil leaves and sugar, stir, reduce heat, cover and simmer. Let cool slightly. Then put everything into a food processor until smooth like soup. Transfer to labeled bags, let air out, seal and freeze. 

To eat: thaw and re-heat. Easy :)

I'm so excited about the meal we're having for dinner tonight. Thai Peanut Chicken and Noodles :) Matt's just having the chicken part because of his diet. So he says..we'll see :) Mmmmm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment