Friday, December 30, 2011

"The Help" and how I'm color blind.

I loved the book. It may be my new favorite book of all time. 
Matt and I just rented The Help from Redbox and I cried like a baby again.
So So good!

If I lived in Jackson, Mississippi back then...I would have been just like Skeeter. 
I punched a kid in the face in high school for using the N word (this boy is now a Marine) don't mess.

That story of "The Help" really gets me going. It makes me so frustrated. Coming from the small town of Hartford, Wisconsin, I heard some of the same things in the movie. Maybe not to the same level. But people are definitely prejudice there. It is the dumbest thing in the entire world. When I hear people making racist jokes I want to look them square and the face and ask them, "Are you really that stupid? Do you know how stupid you sound?!" I have said this to people. 

We are all the same. We will always all be the same. Growing up I was always taught that it doesn't matter if you are purple, green, blue, white or black...we are all the same. We all have a heart and that's about all that matters. It makes me so so frustrated that people just cannot understand that. 

I have a relative, an extremely close relative (I don't need to say who because if you know me you know who it is) who had a very hard time accepting my siblings when they were born. Even went as far as to say they were not her family. That's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Of course they are family. It makes me want to laugh. I have never seen color. Ever. I have had friends and boyfriends who were Asian, Mexican, Black and White and never thought twice about any of it. I can't imagine it. 

Sometimes I wish I were alive back then. I would have been apart of all the change. I would have been right there in the action. I love knowing that our children will grow up here in a place where there is less racism. What a minute, what am I talking about lol, they'll never know color. Their aunts and uncles will be black. Oh that's so awesome. I love that so so much. I love that our family is a rainbow. It makes us so much more beautiful. I wouldn't trade that for the world. 

Ok, I'm done. I could go on and on about this all night.
It just means a lot to me. I know it's still out there. There may even be people reading this right now who are not blessed to be color blind like we are. I feel so so sorry for them. Not only do they look ridiculous to those of us who are a lot smarter than that, but they are missing out on knowing so many incredible people simply because of a difference in our skin color. We all have different colored hair...how come no one ever cared about that?? Why didn't all the blondes go against the brunettes...it's the same exact thing. At least to me. 

I hope that if you are ever around anyone making jokes or saying mean things in seriousness about race, that you stop them. That you teach them something. I learned something from my Mom the day I punched that boy in the face. Punching him wasn't going to change the way he felt about things. It was the way his parents raised him. Instead I should have taught him why he was wrong. It's something I work hard on now as an adult. When I hear things like that, my first reaction is to throw punches (where does this violence come from??? I have no clue lol), but after taking a step back I usually kill them with silence and zero laughter at their ignorant jokes or comments. That usually does it. Anyone who knows me knows not to say things like that around me. I hope they don't say it around me not just because they don't want me to get mad, but because they believe it's wrong as well.

I wish everyone knew it was wrong.
It just makes me so so mad.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year. 
Sorry for the picture-less blog. Sometimes I like having lots of words. 
I hope this helped someone. Anyone. 

Xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment