Wednesday, November 23, 2011

First Turkey & Other News

As promised, here are the photos from our first turkey yesterday. I had so much fun making our first turkey and now feel so confident about it that I told Matt I will be roasting lots of chicken from now on. We had so many great tools that made making the turkey that much easier. One of my dance families bought us a complete turkey making set for our wedding gift {roaster, carving knife, turkey alarms, injector, etc.}
I didn't want to do anything to fancy with my first turkey because I was already so afraid of screwing it up, but I did use the injector! It was awesome. I melted 1/4 cup of butter and poured it into the injector and then injected the butter into 6 different spots in the turkey and watched it plump right before my eyes. So cool! 
The turkey turned out to be so incredibly juicy. I was so proud of myself. Katie said it was so yummy and she never lies so I was super excited :) Matt just enjoyed a left-over turkey sandwich for lunch! 
I gutted out the turkey, did the injections and also rubbed melted butter between the meat and skin with my hand. I added salt and pepper on top as well as poultry seasoning. I baked the turkey at 325 degrees from 2:30-7:00pm basting it every half an hour. (Matt basted from 5-7 while I was hip hopping away). Katie and I came home (to our house) after work and then it was time to eat! YUM!

{12 lb turkey before}

{Mmmm! After.}

{My First Turkey!}

{It was fun having Tuesday Thanksgiving with Katie!}

{blurry but I love her so I put it anyway :) }

 {Matt and I ready to eat!}

In other news, we just signed Matt up for school full-time. Starting in January he'll go to school every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30-10:00pm. He has one class online, too. I'm so excited for him that he'll be able to finally go full-time. I feel like we accomplished a lot saving for this. It felt good to pay, to just take the money from savings and pay. I see lots of chick flicks in my future, Tuesdays and Thursdays will be lonely around here. At least Cogsy can keep me company. Good thing we don't have kids yet, that would be hard. 

Matt and I decided to DVR the Macy's Parade tomorrow to watch while we decorate on Friday.
Zeek's Pizza with Chris and Katie tonight for trivia and then tomorrow bright and early we'll head down to Olympia for Thanksgiving : ) 

Happy Early Turkey Day everyone! {No internet tomorrow}

xoxo,

1 comment:

  1. Yayy your first turkey! I am so excited for you and it looks AMAZING! I cant wait to do the same next year with my hubby! Save some leftovers for me! <3

    ReplyDelete