Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cheap Meals by Matt & Chelsea!

So, like I said in my last post, Matt and I are great at eating cheap.

Here are some meals we used to eat when we were broke. 
Disney doesn't pay much and we weren't good with our money. 

We used to be able to eat for $30-$50/week. Here's how! I don't know why you would ever want to do this unless you had to, but in case your reading and things are tight...here you go :) I send this ideas to my little brother lol. 

Cereal! $4.00
You can eat cereal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or, for a snack.
Marshmallow Matey's anyone?...


Breakfast for Dinner $4.00
Eggs & Toast, that's it... just "dunking eggs" and toast.
*dunking eggs, sunny side up/over easy...eggs that toast gets dipped into

Chili Omlettes $1.50 
(because you already have eggs left from breakfast for dinner)
One can of no-bean chili (for Matt) and scrambled eggs mixed together. If you want to spend a little extra you can add shredded cheese....mmmm....we actually still make these from time to time.

GOOLASH (aka "Our Poor Food") $7.00
Goolash. is. amazing!
It was my favorite food growing up...not annnyymorrree... after Matt and I basically lived off of goolash for a good year, it's not so appealing anymore lol. 
One can of tomato paste, 2 cans of tomato sauce, 2 cans of tomato soup, 1 lb ground beef, shell noodles
and....if you're a family recipe ruiner like my husband, you add oregano or italian seasoning and cheese.
This recipe makes enough food for at least 12 people. Or in our case, 2 people for 3 lunches and 3 dinners! Ha, yes, no joke. 

Peanut Butter and Jelly on Toast $5.00 (for pb & j but once you have them they last ya know)
Self Explanetory. I used to eat at least 4x's a day in Florida lol. I was obsessed.


Spaghetti (with no meat sauce) $3.00
Noodles and Sauce lol. Done. 

Ramen $1.00 for 5
Add an egg for extra goodness. Saltine Crackers too.

Soy Sauce Chicken Splurge...$8.00
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts covered in garlic powder and seasoning salt baked in tons of soy sauce for one hour. Every 15 minutes you baste. Eat this with white rice. If you can, broccoli too! Woo! You can use the left over chicken in your Ramen noodles!! Ha. We did, all. the. time.

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese or Off-Brand Macaroni & Cheese $.55 x 2 boxes
Add hot dogs or ketchup. Yes, ketchup...it's a Hampe thing. My dad does it and so naturally I love it too.
Matt thinks that is so sick lol.

I am not kidding when I say this was our food every single week. Every now and then we would throw in something new like grilling out hamburgers with french fries. Or get a treat like fruit! Whoa. I look back now and am amazed. And feel totally spoiled now. :( We really take for granted how we eat so well now. I used to get so so so excited when my nanny family or Matt's parents would have us over for dinner, I was so thankful for that yummy yummy real food :) At the time we didn't really realize how bad it was. It was just normal.
GRAND TOTAL OF ALL FOOD ABOVE = about $37.00 !!! 


We would throw in a pizza here and there too.
Other meals may have included...Corn Dogs at the Magic Kingdom's Casey's Corner...like a lot.
Then when we moved to Washington we discovered Trader Joe's and could buy a whole week's worth of food for under $50.00.

*Orange Chicken w/ Rice $5.00
*Pesto Pizza $5.00
*Tortellini w/ Sauce $4.00
*Teriyaki Chicken w/ Rice $5.00
*Enchiladas $2.00
*Lasagna $7.00
$28.00!!!
*And we would always always always have a Ramen night. Up until our wedding actually.
Cereal or eggs/toast for breakfast. I would eat lunch at my nanny families house and Matt just didn't eat lunch.
After cereal, milk, eggs and maybe juice...$35/$40.00

WOW! So incredibly un-healthy. I am so so thankful that things are the way they are now. They can only go up from here..and if they don't, well, we know what to do ; )

Hehe, I hope that was at least semi-entertaining for you to read.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...you two know how to eat on a dime! Good for you. I LOVE Trader Joe's too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I hear you on the cereal!
    My husband is a cereal fanatic.
    Seriously, he could live off the stuff!
    And we basically did when we were jobless for four months : )
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete